Charles Titford left us the following notes concerning local railways and stations.
1.Projected as part of Croydon to Epsom Railway, in 1845 – to be operated on the atmospheric principle. Built as a steam-operated line, and opened from Croydon via Sutton to Epsom Town Station (in Upper High Street) on 10 May 1847 (LBSCR).
2.Railway from Peckham Rye via Mitcham Junction to Sutton opened on 1 October 1868 (LBSCR).
3.Railway from Epsom Town Station to Epsom Station opened on 8 August 1859 (LBSCR).
4.Railway from Raynes Park (the Wimbledon Junction) to Epsom Station (LSWR) opened on 4 April 1859.
5. Railway from Epsom to Leatherhead (old joint LBSCR and LSWR Station now disused) opened 8 August 1859 for LBSCR trains,
1 February 1859 for LSWR trains.
Stations opened and closed
1.Ewell East opened 10 May 1847 as ‘Ewell’. Name changed to Ewell East 9 July 1923 (to avoid confusion with Ewell, opened 4 April
1859 and changed 9.7.1923 to Ewell West).
2.Epsom Town in Upper High Street (formerly Station Road). Opened as Epsom 10 May 1847. In 1870 name changed to Epsom
Town. This was later dropped and revived again in July 1923. Station closed 3 March 1929.
3.Epsom opened 1 February 1859.
4.Ashtead assumed to have opened 1 February 1859 (?).
a) Original Station, LSWR & LBSCR trains opened 1 February, closed 4 March 1867.
b) Separate LSWR Station opened 4 March 1867, closed 10 July 1927.
c) Separate LBSCR Station opened 4 March 1867.
d) All trains used LBSCR Station from 10 July 1927.
1.To Sutton via West Croydon, 1 April 1925 on overhead system.
2.a) Victoria to Epsom via Mitcham Junction (3rd rail).
b) London Bridge to Dorking North and Effingham via Tulse Hill and Mitcham Junction.
Both electrified 3 March 1929.
3.Victoria to Coulsdon North and Sutton, conversion from overhead to third rail 22 September 1929.