The Shrubbery, South Street, Epsom: II
The following notes are based on a detailed survey of the building made prior to and during demolition, and a full report is now being prepared for the Royal Commission on Historic Monuments.
Although having recently been used as offices, prior to which it was in multiple occupation, The Shrubbery retained many good quality features from around 1700 when the main block was constructed. About 1850 the north wing was added and the interior layout modified; this was followed by an extension for the south and other minor alterations relating to its later uses. The entrance hall with the stairs at the rear divided the original property in half and on each side of this there were two rooms on each floor. As there were two principal floors plus basement and attic there would have been 16 main rooms in the original house. The rendering was added c.1850 to cover the differing bricks of the new extension, prior to which the red bricks had been left exposed. It is hoped to give a detailed description of the building in a future Occasional Paper.
During the period of the survey it became clear that much looting was taking place but fortunately many of the most important features were salvaged for Bourne Hall Museum. This included the front and rear doors and door cases, the front railings, an early 19th century Gothick door, a section of the stair balustrade, window shutters, a hall arch, a chimney pot and an open alcove cupboard. From under the panelling a collection of late 17th century wallpapers were recovered. One was identical to some from Boots in Kingston Market Place, and another was similar, but with overprinting. The third is of an unrecorded design but in many ways the most interesting; it is of a hunting scene which dates to about 1690.
Ian J. West