Epsom & Ewell History
& Archaeology Society
Excavations at Old Bridge Wharf, Kingston – 1972 Interim Report
Coombe Hill Farmhouse – The Documentary Evidence
Some Notes on Early Postal Services
No. 29 Market Place (formerly Cook Row) Kingston upon Thames
Batson’s Forge and Wheelwright’s, Brook Street, Kingston
In which is narrated the curious story of Cesar Picton from Senegal on the west coast of Africa,
later of Kingston upon Thames in the County of Surrey - Coal Merchant and, of Talworth and Thames Ditton in the same county, Gentleman.
Documentary evidence for Coombe Hill Farmhouse which was demolished in September 1969, being at that time in a very dilapidated condition.
It was thought that documentary evidence might exist to prove the accuracy of the survey estimate that the early part of the building should be dated about 1640-50 and this eventually proved to be the case. After several years of searching it became clear, from a lease of 1741, that the farmhouse was originally built by Charles Cockayne, Viscount Cullen, who owned the manor from 1626 to 1651.
During the research so much information was gathered concerning the manor of Coombe (without which it is doubtful whether the significance of the 1741 lease would have been grasped) that it was decided to gather the facts together in this account. There are unfortunately many gaps, but perhaps other documents may be unearthed in future to fill them.
In common with many other historic towns and areas in Britain, Kingston town centre in particular
and the Royal Borough generally are subject to development proposals of various kinds. An inevitable
result in most cases is the destruction of archaeological evidence above and below ground. Present
arrangements and resources for archaeological work in advance of development are inadequate and
unless these can be improved in the near future the Borough will have lost for ever a vital source for
the study and reconstruction of its past.
The first public meeting of KUTAS – the Kingston upon Thames Archaeological Society – was held on
Thursday, 3rd July 1969. To celebrate the society’s fiftieth birthday in July 2019, a day conference was held with six speakers who explained why KUTAS was formed, and what had been subsequently
discovered about the Royal Borough. These talks have been collated and appear in this document.
Around the Campfire: How KUTAS Began - Sue & John Janaway
William Roots and the Early History of Kingston - Jon Cotton
Origins: The Prehistory of Kingston - David Field
Kingston Saxon Pottery - Steve Nelson
Overview of Kingston’s Archaeology 1990 to 2018 - Duncan Hawkins FSA
KUTAS and the Buildings of the Borough of Kingston - Ian West MRICS
Following the dissolution of Kingston upon Thames Archaeological Society in July 2022, EEHAS is making available the five KUTAS publications, to ensure the information remains available to the public.